A friend invited us over for a taco party, so I decided to make 2 taco cakes for the occasion.
To make the tacos, I baked two 9″ circle chocolate cakes. I stacked the cakes, frosting in between, and then cut the stacked cakes in half. I laid the flat side of the cut cakes on a plate so the curved, side of the cake was facing up.
For the various fixin’s I made the following:
- ground beef: crushed chocolate teddy grahams mixed with chocolate frosting
- shredded lettuce: rolled green fruit slice, cut in to thin strips
- cheddar cheese: rolled orange starburst, cut into thin strips
- tomatoes: chopped up red fruit slices
- sour cream: whipped cream
- corn tortilla: whipped cream tinted yellow, brown, and orange
For assembly, I put the ground beef from the bottom of the cake to 1/3 of the way up. I spread the sour cream on the rest of the curved portion of the cake, sprinkled the shredded lettuce followed by the shredded cheese, and then topped it with the tomatoes.
I then frosted the sides of the cake carefully with the tinted frosting, piping the edges to give it a more defined and cleaner look.
Here they are ready for sampling.